Friday, June 8, 2012

Anniversaries, Cupcakes, Finances, and...Oh Yeah! Ryan Friday!

Overall, it's been a good week for us. Sunday happened to be the thirteen year anniversary of Boo's Dad and Boo's Mom saying I Do. :D We didn't do anything particularly special, although I did decide to order a pizza for supper so I wouldn't have to cook or clean up. The city in which we live has an event once a year called City Wide Clean-up. This is a week where you can put virtually anything at the curb and the city will pick it up and dispose of it for you. It is a big help for people like us who don't have a truck to haul large items to the dump. The only thing you can't get rid of is lawn/garden stuff like tree limbs. Inspired by this event, we decided to do something we've been putting off for a long time. We removed the nasty, stained, ancient blue shag carpeting from Boo's playroom. Thankfully, there was linoleum tiles underneath, so we don't have to be in any hurry getting the replacement carpet installed.

Later that afternoon, we took Boo outside to play with his new "pipes," an idea inspired by a fellow mommy blogger.

Monday was uneventful save for the hour that Boo and I spent on Skype with my BFF and her two children. Her daughter is the same age as Boo, and they just love making faces and showing each other their favorite toys.

Tuesday was a good day. I spent the afternoon baking cupcakes. I had a new awesome-sounding recipe I wanted to try for the family bbq. In the evening Boo asked to go to the park with the red slide. We spent a long time there, and he amazed me by climbing higher than ever before on all the playground equipment. He has always been afraid to go high in the past. Go Boo!

Wednesday was the rough day for me. It started pleasantly enough. I sat down at the table and balanced the checkbook and paid bills. Paying bills always makes my skin crawl. Without giving too much personal detail, I can tell you that it was disheartening. About an hour later, I received an email from an attorney whom we had hired last October to help us out with something. We'd had to borrow money from a family member for the retainer fee and in the end, the attorney fees exceeded that amount by several hundred dollars. We have still not been able to the remaining balance. The email was stating that the attorney was ready to file a suit against us for our failure to pay. I was able to make arrangements with him to make very small payments to keep it out of court, but the whole issue really opened my eyes. There are several family members we owe money to for personal loans and several creditors we owe also. We are not making any headway financially. My husband's new job is great, but we are barely keeping our heads above water. I had to pull my head out of the sand and face the fact that I must go back to work again. It cut me to my core. As much as it can drive me nuts some days being here at home with Boo, it is the most wonderful and rewarding thing I have ever had the privilege of doing. Giving it up feels like ripping the heart out of my chest. I spent a great deal of time crying.

Later, after I had discussed it with my mom and my husband and was feeling better, I set about making the frosting and finishing the cupcakes. It made me feel good to create something yummy and beautiful. The bbq itself helped too. It was so relaxing and fun to hang out with my family and to allow Boo to run around and play and wear himself out at Grandpa's house.

Thursday was wonderful too, as my mom came to visit for the afternoon. I hadn't spent time with her in so long! We had a blast, played, acted silly, and I helped her with some issues she was having with her computer. Boo was totally thrilled to have her here as well. I gave her one of the cupcakes to try and she was over the moon. She kept asking how much I could sell them for. I still have no idea. How much would you pay for one of these yummy pretties?
Cherry Limeade Cupcakes

And now, we have arrived at Friday. And you know what that means! Yep, it's "Special Needs Ryan Gosling" time! For more fabulous Ryan fun, click on the button at the bottom of this post and see all the other fabulous bloggers who are joining in. For my part, here's what Ryan had to say to me this week:

Oh Ryan, thank you. I just needed a big strong shoulder.


Why Ryan, you're making me blush!


You just never get enough, do you?

Click here to see all the other Ryans.




Have a great weekend everyone!

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I loved being able to stay home with my son. When I had to go back to work when he was in 1st grade, I was lucky to find a part time job at a bank and could still be there to pick him up from school in the afternoon and be home when he was home. It wasn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you did the pipes thing! Those cupcakes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gotta love that Ryan! love his nudist idea, that means less work for me, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cupcakes look amazing! Can you do any work from home? It's horrible to be so torn. But I'm loving Ryan's ideas about washing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cupcakes look delectable! I feel you on the money situation. We're not doing so hot ourselves and I'm trying to figure out what to do about that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what looks better in this post, Ryan or those cupcakes. OK, now I'm picturing Ryan in his underwear holding a cupcake. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recentley went back to work after being home with my boys for the past 8 years. I have to say so far it's been the best thing for our family to date. My schedule is pretty much the same as theirs (with them being in school) so it hasn't been that big a change to their schedule.
    I had the 'mommy guilt' for a little bit, but after a while I realized this was best for our family, and I felt much happier overall being able to have something 'else' in my life (I tended to throw myself 100% into the care of my boys with ASD, leaving little room for anything else)as well as being able to contribute financially to our family.
    I wish you luck and I believe it will all work out for the best for you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sitting around in your underwear with Ryan sounds like an awesome way to spend your weekend:)

    ReplyDelete